Nepal Anyone?

October 8th 2019

      Today my friend Gabe told me about a crazy idea he had about going to Nepal and asked me if I wanted to join. Take in mind the last few years have been a roller coaster of ups, downs, sideways and flat out upside down and breaking down in that position. All the blood running to my head and the fear the ride will never start the right way again. The good, the bad, the great and the ugly. So I was terribly torn between really, really, really, undinably wanting to go, and thinking about how I worked my ass off this summer to get back to being financially ok, after yet another ex taking everything I had worked so hard to save. And when I say ok, I mean nowhere close to what I had before, but feeling safe if something went wrong. I really need to stop being giving with my money. At least people can't say I date for money because as it turns out people date me thinking I've got it. So I can't really say that I was in a position to spend anything too hefty.

      "Kelsey, I found round trip tickets for under $600! And once we get there, everything there is so cheap! I'd say we come in at under $1000 to go."

      Well that changes a lot. Again not like I had the money to spend but I did save, work very had doing three different jobs and picking up side work whoever possible. I was so torn. But the big question I know you're thinking: why are you going to Nepal? Why else would anyone go to Nepal? Duh. To hike a god damn mountain! NO, not Everest, but still a good base camp at 15,000ft. We were going to hike the ABC Trek!

      I told Gabe I'd really think about it. And I really was going to think about it, not just say yeah yeah yeah and never follow through. I was simply desperate for time overseas in a new place I'd never been. Adding to that map hanging on my wall, where you scratch away where you've been in the world. When I bought it I thought, damn I've been to so many places and after I finished scratching I realized the world is so much bigger than we think. No really not to be cliche but it's SO FUCKING BIG! When I got home I told my friend I wanted to ask her about a few things when she was done making whatever vitamin concoction she was making at that point. I went into my room and looked at that map and found Nepal. Well shit Nepal is small on a map, but you know what? It's a start.

      I spent about an hour bouncing ideas off of Kathleen. The joy it would bring me, the money, the what ifs, the how exciting and all around did I deserve to treat myself? Gabe was already sending me tons of information, which helped when discussing with Kathleen if I could make it work. I needed one more day. At least. To me this was about money and really that was it. I mean true I would need a lot of supplies to do a hike like this since it was different than any other hike I'd done before, but besides that, it was money. I had a few things already in the works and normally it wouldn't matter but I didn't have winter work lined up. I've been taking the time to find work that makes me feel better about what I'm doing and not something I just say yes to because I can. Every job I seem to take on is always a favor to someone else. I wanted to start doing favors for me.

      I had a more than normal restless nights sleep...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog